The 8th Infantry Illinois
National Guard Association Patch is the official emblem of the
association. This patch measures 4" by 3" and is custom embroidered
to our specifications. Incorporated into the patch are elements
from the insignia of the 184th Field Artillery and susequently the
178th Infantry Regiment, both direct descendant unit of the 8th
The Block House at the top of the shield is "Old Fort Dearborn"
and represent the "Illinois Troops.' The Blue Shield, symbolic of
Infantry, represents Infantry Troops. The Roman Shield, partly obscured
in the Blue Field on the left near the top, represents service in
Cuba during the Spanish-American War, 1898-99. The Prickly Pear
Cactus partly obscured in the Blue Field on the Right near the top,
represents service on the Mexican Border in 1916.
The Entire triangular device, called the Semi-de-lis is representative
of World War service in France. The Roman Sword and cactus are partly
obscured as the service of the Regiment during the World War far
overshadowed those services in Cuba and on the Mexican Border.
The Three White squares represent the Hindenburg Line. Ordinarily
these would be placed on a line but the sharp point of the Semi-de-lis
represents the piercing of the Hindenburg line by the Regiment and
hence one is shoved downward.
The three Fleur-de-lis surrounding the French Helmets, is the Coat-of-Arms
of the Department of Mause, France, (a state in France) in which
the Regiment happened to be when the Hindenburg Line was pierced
by the "Old Eighth." The Motto: "One Country, One Flag" is the Official
motto of the Regiment.