The 178th Infantry was again reorganized 1 March 1959 with many of the officers and men of the 184th Field Artillery Battalion and the 795th Tank Destroyer Battalion. This reorganization under the Combat Arms Regimental System made the 178th the parent regiment to consist of the 1st Battle Group, the 184th Field Artillery Battalion concurrently reorganized and redesignated and made the 184th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System to consist of the 1st Automatic Weapons Battalion.
The 178th Infantry and the 184th Artillery were consolidated 1 April 1963 and the consolidated unit designated as the 1/178 Infantry consisting of the lst and 2nd Battalions. These unites were under the command of Lt. Colonel John T. Rose and Bertram R. Pratt. They were again reorganized on 1 December 1965 to consist of the 1st Battalion, and elements of the 33rd Infantry Division and the 2nd Battalion.
On 1 February 1968 the 178th Infantry was reorganized to consist of the 1st Battalion an element of the 33rd Infantry Brigade.
The 1st Battalion 178 was ordered into active Federal Service on 7 April 1968 for riot control during the Democratic National Convention and released from federal duty on 11 April 1968.
Site developed by